Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Bees, Spring Peepers, Woodcocks and Salamanders All Have Spring Fever

This July 6, 2013 photo, taken at the wildlife garden at the Brown Family Environmental Center, shows what we have to look forward to.  (Photo by Don Comis)
I had more first signs of spring, firsts for me anyway, on this wonderful spring-like day today.  My Nature day began this afternoon seeing not only purple crocuses in bloom in my neighbor's garden, but also two bees buzzing them and nearby yellow flowers that have bloomed for weeks now.

That made me decide that my next trip should be to the wildlife garden at the Brown Family Environmental Center. Of course, there were no flowers blooming there to attract bees, butterflies and moths.  I had jumped the gun!

But then, amidst the numerous chirps of birds, a loud chorus broke through and I finally realized these were not birds but frogs, likely spring peepers.

I'm also hearing of sightings of woodcocks doing their peenting call and mating dances, the closest one being at Honey Run Falls park.  All the reports in Ohio place the dance as between 8 and 8:30 p.m.  So I plan to visit that park and the Brown Center's north and south sides by 8 p.m. soon.

And if it's raining when I'm at the Brown Center, I may just head to the vernal pool there--conditions seem right for the mass salamander migration each evening from tonight through Friday, with Thursday seeming best.

The harsh winter here has delayed  both the woodcocks and the salamanders, giving me a chance not to miss either for the first time in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment