Monday, March 31, 2014

Migrant Ducks Rest in Small Pond on Way North

Mixed migrant flock resting on small pond near Apple Valley includes a male scaup (black-and-white, second or third from left) and canvasback ducks (flock on right, males red-white-and-black).  (Photo by Don Comis)

In the middle of the flock of canvasback ducks, I spotted a probable male northern shoveler, distinguished by the rufous color on his side.  (Photo by Don Comis)
A male northern shoveler takes flight, likely with his mate, while a male mallard and male northern shoveler swim peacefully.  (Photo by Don Comis)


Before going grocery shopping in Mt. Vernon this afternoon, I stopped by Apple Valley Lake and took another look at some of the interesting waterfowl showing up there lately--loons, pie-billed grebes, horned grebes, and hooded mergansers.  My friends, Debbie Hurlbert and Jon Minard, could name more.

They happened by on their bird patrol as I was taking photos the other day at the Lake's dam and spillway and identified the horned grebes for me. Jon, a long-time eagle watcher, also told me he's been seeing an adult pair of bald eagles on the lake, sounding like he thinks they'll build a nest next year nearby.  Although there are plenty of eagles in the area and some that frequent the lake, there aren't any nesting along the lakeshore.

They also alerted me to a mixed flock of migrant ducks at a small pond near a strip mall just outside of the entrance to the Apple Valley development.  The ducks include redheads, canvasbacks, and scaups.  The redheads and scaups are headed back to the the western United States, Alaska, and northwestern Canada; and the canvasbacks are going to Canada and northwestern United States.

I checked out that pond again today, too.  The flock was much smaller than the 65 I counted days ago, but there was still diversity.  I'm pretty sure I saw four northern shovelers, the first I've seen, at least by myself, three males and one female. I also counted 8 canvasbacks (5 males and 3 females) and 3 scaups (2 males and 1 female).  I think the canvasbacks are more strikingly beautiful than the redheads.

The northern shovelers are resting on their journey back to America's West, Alaska, and northwestern Canada.

As I neared home, I saw what I think was a Great Blue Heron flying overhead, which would be my first heron sighting in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment