Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Morels Fever

I recently bought this DVD for $7 from Eric Taylor, pictured at right next to his brother Keith, morels in all four hands and a bin overflowing with morels.  (Front cover photo by Jim Brewer)

Back cover of DVD showing Eric in 1978, at age 9, next to his "Grandpa and Teacher", the late Lincoln Miller, both holding morels.  (Back cover photo by Jim Brewer)
Last night I joined a morels forum and posted some questions, with more to come, to help me start my first morel mushroom hunt.


Everyone has morel fever in this area so I've caught it.  I bought a DVD on morel hunting from a local mushroom hunter I met at our local archaeological club meeting in Mt. Vernon, Ohio. 


Morels usually come out in early April in Ohio but may be a bit delayed by the cold winter, which, on the other hand, is said to promise a better than usual morel season.


The site has a video on morel hunting and links to sites where you can learn the soil moisture and soil temperature in your area to time your morel searches.  Morels like a soil temperature of 50 degrees Fahrenheit.


From the forum I learned of another soil moisture and temperature forecast site.

No comments:

Post a Comment