Sunday, April 6, 2014

Brown Thrasher's Arrival Means Spring is Getting Even Closer

O

n April 5, the brown thrasher became my latest summer migrant bird returning, another signal spring just got a little closer.

One of the ways I spotted him near my feeders was the way he threw leaves around searching under them for grubs and other bugs and worms.  The only surprise I got was how he sometimes was pounding something with his beak, with all the force of a woodpecker on a tree.  I couldn't see what he was trying to get with that beak action.

But other times he seemed to be eating spilled seed from the feeders.  He's the second bird that surprised me by eating at feeders--an early arriving robin was the other bird I never expected to see eat bird seed.

The thrasher is supposed to be shy but we seem to have a pair every summer hanging around if not living in our yard, often in low shrubbery or under our back deck.

When I checked a field guide, I was surprised to learn that the brown thrasher, not the mockingbird,  knows more songs than any other bird in North America,  over 1,100 song types!

No comments:

Post a Comment