Friday, April 18, 2014

Nature Changed Fast in my Absence

Whew--my computer broke down and so I had to stop posting for 10 days--just when Nature is really changing fast.


As I write this I can hear spring peepers through my open windows.   I recently heard a great horned owl calling from a white pine tree in our yard, and an answering call from a distance.  I had read that if you see red-tailed hawks in an area, there are probably also great horned owls.  They share the same habitat needs and great horned owls can kick red-tailed hawks out of a nest and take over.


I also read that great horned owls are the only predators that eat skunks.  I don't remember if the horned owl landed in the tree when there was a road-kill skunk nearby.  If so, it might have attracted the owl, but maybe the owls prefer killing things themselves.  But then if it smelled the dead skunk, how could it eat it?  I think I read they can't smell and that's why they can eat it.


Now I think vultures must have to smell since their prey never move.  But two vultures came in real low and close to examine the skunk.  But they left it alone as did the owl.  But why would the vultures be attracted to a smell even they can't stand?


And what or who took the skunk eventually?  I think it was a helpful neighbor.  The poor skunk got hit trying to cross over to eat at my bird feeders.


I'm also hearing more birds singing.


And there are more colors--green lawns and other vegetation and.white and yellow daffodils. 


I also saw my first butterfly today, one with blue wings called "summer azure".  Also, a spider recently set up shop on my rear porch light and survived a light 2-day snowfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment