Thursday, May 29, 2014

Wildflowers Lead to Pollinators and Eastern Towhees

While tentatively identifying the beautiful white and lavender wildflowers blooming nearby each May, I had the bonus of seeing my first two skippers of the season feeding off their nectar--the hobomok skipper and the silver-spotted skipper.

Skippers are close relatives of butterflies. 

I also kicked up many probable moths in the undergrowth as I walked into a vacant lot near our yard to get a closer look at the wildflowers.

And, while sitting on my  back deck trying to identify the wildflowers with a field guide, I was treated to the sight of three very sociable eastern towhees, two males and a female, I think. 

I'm not experienced at plant identification and the best possibility I could come up with is "Dame's Rocket", which I've never heard of before.  I used to think these wildflowers were some type of phlox.

I'll be checking with knowledgeable neighbors on these flowers which are everywhere in our area.

(For a little longer blog on this, go to my website:  www.doncomis.simplesite.com)

The lavender mystery wildlflower. (Photo by Don Comis)

The white mystery wildflower.  (Photo by Don Comis)

One of at least three not-very-shy eastern towhees in our yard.  This one is definitely a male.  (Photo by Don Comis)

Adult female eastern towhee.  (Photo by Don Comis)

No comments:

Post a Comment